I’m A Bit Late But…

September 22, 2010 | | 4 Comments

Hello everyone my name is Oneil and this is my blog, sorry for actually writing so late (the word blog really bothers me). I warn you now I tend to ramble on when I don’t have to have a writing structure so bear with me. I guess i should start by saying that I love movies like most of you. Before this Semester I mostly stuck with with modern films. The only real classic film I’ve seen before would be “Physco”. After that my movie knowledge is mostly based from the 70’s till now. To be honest It took me awhile to get used to old cinema. The acting, dialogue, and directing of the time period we are watching in class is very different to me and at first it felt weird. But fortunately I’m getting the hang of it. Mostly due to my favorite¬† film that we’ve seen so far “The Public Enemy”

It is my belief that one character has the ability to raise a film from good to great (or from horrible to watchable). For me that one character was Tom Powers played James Cagney. When he was onscreen it was impossible to look away. The man stole every scene and line in the movie. You couldn’t help but to root for the man even if in real life you would never support such a person. The rest of the cast was great as well. His best friend and right hand man Matt Doyle played by Edward Woods really made me sympathize for him. You could tell he wanted out of that life but his bond with his friend kept him on the inside. Ultimately leading to his death.

I’m looking forward to seeing more of these classics in class and outside when I have time. Though I haven’t enjoyed all the films so far, (looking at you Citizen Kane and Lady Eve) I’ve read and heard many good things about the upcoming films. If any of them include James Cagney I’ll be a happy man.

Comments

4 Comments so far

1.    exgee226 on October 20, 2010 12:41 pm

Wow Oneil, I can’t believe you didn’t like The Lady Eve! I’ve known you for about six years and you’ve never disappointed me with your taste in movies. The Lady Eve is one of my favorite movies. Anyways, I do have to agree with you on The Public Enemy being a very good and entertaining film. I agree with the James Cagney comments. He did do an amazing job acting. The tough guy act really suits him. Since the movie takes place in Chicago, it made me like it more. I’m a big fan of Chicago movies (Chicago, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, The Blues Brothers, While You Were Sleeping, Dark Knight etc.) I really liked the opening scene and how it shows the two best friend’s growing up and doing these bad deeds and how the deeds got worse as they grew older and more skilled. If we do see another James Cagney movie, I guess i’ll me a happy woman! But another Stanwyck movie will make me even happier! Ha.

2.    1 dollar backlinks on November 18, 2013 10:12 pm

Greetings I am so thrilled I found your site, I really found you by mistake,
    while I was browsing on Askjeeve for something else, Anyways I
    am here now and would just like to say many thanks for a remarkable post and a all
    round interesting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to
    go through it all at the minute but I have book-marked it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the awesome work.

3.    mobile text on August 29, 2014 2:51 pm

mobile text

Oneil’s Movie Blog

4.    Terry Simpson MD on January 28, 2015 2:54 am

Terry Simpson MD

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind