Normally when I choose to write about a movie in this class or any of my other media studies/film classes, I tend to lean towards movies I enjoyed. For this blog though I’ve decided to pull a George Constanza and do the opposite. Now I’ll admit that I didnt like some of the films we saw but, only one of these works was bad enough to inspire me to write about it. The film I’m speaking of is called Meshes of the Afternoon. Directed by Maya Deren in 1943, this short 18 minute film follows a woman and…… well just trying to explain the plot of the film gives me a headache. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not narrow minded when it comes to new ways of depicting films. I loved Go Go Go and Mothlight but this film, i just didn’t get it.

I’ve seen it twice already this semester and my (and i barely use this word in films, I always try to find a redeeming factoring in every film I watch,) hate for the film only grew with the second viewing. I can ramble for days about this movie but I’ll only mention my two biggest problems with the film. My first issue is the sound. You all know what I’m talking about, that LOUD banging noise that seems to repeat it self over and over and over and over and  over and again in my head like a Justin Beiber song (I work in target and his commercials play all the time in the music department, don’t judge me.) This ruckus is probably the worst thing I’ve heard in any form of media. Worst of all it didn’t even help the plot of the film, If anything it distracted me from the film and made me wonder “Who honestly believes this is worthy of praise and recognition?”

My second issue with the film was that it was trrying to hard to be weird and different. It really turned me off in two sequences. The first one being when we get a POV shot of the woman looking out the window and suddenly we get an almost wormhole view of the window. This bothers me because we already SAW the window through the POV and we get the fact that this is watch she sees. Instead of invoking the audience to think if what she sees is real or not, the director gives it away and shows us that this is what she sees in her head. The second sequence does not require and explanation, just one word and you’ll know what I’m talking about. The word you might ask…… Bread.

Now I see why blogger like to rant a lot in their blogs, it’s more interesting, Either way, to recap, this movie gives me nightmares. I’m all for artistry, but I refuse to like this film simply because it’s different. To some this post will seem cruel and harsh but trust me when I say this. Ms. Deren has the last laugh.

Comments

4 Comments so far

1.    אתה יכול לנסות את אלה on August 3, 2014 7:03 am

I’m really loving the theme/design of your web site. Do you ever run into any internet browser compatibility issues?
    A handful of my blog visitors have complained about my site not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Firefox.

Do you have any solutions to help fix this issue?

My site אתה יכול לנסות את אלה

2.    קידום ובניית אתרים on August 26, 2014 7:58 pm

We are a bunch of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community.
    Your web site offered us with helpful information to
    work on. You’ve performed a formidable job and our whole group will likely be grateful to
    you.

My weblog … קידום ובניית אתרים

3.    קידום אתרים לעסקים קטנים on August 27, 2014 8:34 am

Thank you for sharing your info. I truly appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for
    your next write ups thanks once again.

Stop by my web page … קידום אתרים לעסקים קטנים

4.    מנעולן לרכבים באזור ירושלים on September 7, 2014 8:53 am

If some one wants to be updated with most recent technologies afterward he must be
    go to see this web site and be up to date everyday.

Feel free to visit my site :: מנעולן לרכבים באזור ירושלים

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind